50 THINGS TO DO IN VERMONT
If you are looking for things to do in Burlington, we hope this list can spark some adventure ideas throughout the Green Mountain State for you and your loved ones. No matter if you are a local, visitor, or a destination expert there is always something new, fun, or different to try!
Here is a list of 50 ideas to help you get started adventuring throughout the Burlington area.
1) Spend a day shopping and dining along the
Church Street Marketplace, Burlington's pedestrian shopping district. With seemingly endless shops and boutiques to explore, turn a corner or two off Church Street and you’ll find even more!
2) Rent a SUP or Kayak and hit the waters of Lake Champlain or one of the many inland lakes and ponds in the region.
Check out this article on rentals to reserve your board or boat!
3) Find a hidden gem in downtown Burlington.. One we would recommend starting with is Hong's Chinese Dumplings. She started as a food cart on the Church Street Marketplace and a few years ago, purchased a brick and mortar store on Pearl Street, downtown.
4) Spend your weekend exploring local farmers markets and sample the area's most local and delicious products.
5) Drink a beer at the nations second EVER Craft Brewpub - Vermont Pub & Brew. Looking to learn more?
Check out this article on the history of brewing in Burlington.
6) Stop in at the Firehouse Art Gallery on Church Street and check out their rotating gallery.
7) Plan your trip around a festival or event and see the city come alive! Our recommendations would be the Discover Jazz Fest, Festival of Fools, or the South End Art Hop!
8) Enjoy the view from 360 degrees, from a Lake Champlain Sunset Cruise along the
Spirit of Ethan Allen
9) Take a quick trip to the
Ben & Jerry's Factory Tour, and explore the Ice Cream making process or checkout your old favorite flavors in the Flavor Graveyard!
10) Charter a fishing boat along Lake Champlain, world-class fishing for Small-Mouth Bass, Lake Trout, Northern Pike, Landlocked Salmon and
11) Learn to juggle at the Festival of Fools, every year in July along the Church Street Marketplace
12) Listen to live music at Nectars Bar. * Where the band Phish got their start! *
13) Head to the
South End Art Hop and explore the amazing artwork throughout the city.
14) Explore the biodiversity of Lake Champlain at the
Echo Leahy Center and experience over 70 live exhibits every day.
15) Stop down to Burlington Bay on the waterfront for one of Vermont's special "Creemees" (Don't know what a Creemee is? Don't worry,
check this out)
16) Explore the history of the area and learn about Vermont's local war hero, Ethan Allen at the Ethan Allen Homestead.
17) Hit us up in the winter months and join us at the
Hotel Vermont Ice Bar! Tune in for upcoming dates
18) Visit the
Shelburne Museum and walk the historic museum grounds, explore a number of exhibits, and even catch a glimpse of what life was like in the area from hundreds of years ago.
19) Take a trip into
Burlington's New North End!
20) Dine at the
Honey Road on Church Street and explore a new dimension of tapas and other Mediterranean style entrées.
21) Hop on the
Champlain Valley Dinner Train and enjoy dinner and a ride along Lake Champlain and the Green Mountains
23) Go back in time at the
Archives Bar and play an eclectic mix of classic arcade games while enjoying craft beer or mixed libations.
24) Rent a bike and explore the Burlington’s beautiful downtown, waterfront and bike path that extends 8 miles to the Champlain Islands. Thankfully we have a list of bike rentals and trail systems
25) Explore the Lake Champlain Islands by car or bike. That’s right, the Burlington Bike Path extends all the way to the Champlain Islands with a little help from
Local Motions Bike Ferry crossing on the causeway.
26) Tour one of many local craft breweries and learn the secrets behind Vermont IPAs.
27) Snap a picture of the Burlington sunset from the Burlington Waterfront
28) Grab your board and shred the world-class
A-Dog Skatepark along the Burlington Waterfront
29) Enjoy the product of local grapes and learn about the winemaking process in a northern climate at
Shelburne Vineyards. Or check out one of Burlington’s esteemed Wine Shops, like Wilder Wines
30) Take a hike in Vermont's Green Mountains and enjoy the view over the vast mountains and lakes
31) Head to
Shelburne Farms and visit the operating farm or grab a drink and gaze over Lake Champlain and the Adirondack Mountains
32) Grab your swim trunks and hit the beach, Burlington has three
sandy beaches along the shores of Lake Champlain
33) Listen to one of many local artists at the Night Club Lamp Shop, Radio Bean, Blue Cat Café, or other local spots.
34) Swing down and check out the
Burlington Surf Club, take a board out on the lake or take a dip into Lake Champlain
35) Stuff your face with tacos, burritos and homemade chips at
Taco Gordo or El Gato Cantina
36) Get the gang together and check out
Burlington Paint n Sip for a night of creativity, laughter, and togetherness.
37) Ring in the New Year at Burlington's Highlight event and watch the annual fireworks with your loved ones.
38) Lace up your running shoes and sign-up for the Vermont City Marathon. Participants can enter to run the full, half, or sign up a relay team and take down 26.2 miles with your team.
39) Cool off on a hot summer day and take a dip in one of hundreds of local streams and brooks
40) Take a visit to the
Cold Hollow Cider Mill and sample Vermont's best apple cider, and cider doughnuts
41) Take a gondola ride up Vermont's tallest peak, and grab a drink or a bite to eat at the Cliff House.
42) Head out on the links for 18 holes of great views and good times on one of many courses in the area.
43) Spend a summer night watching the
Vermont Lake Monsters, Burlington's Single-A Professional Baseball Team
44) Take a drive to the Northeast Kingdom and try out
Hill Farmstead, the #1 Brewery in the world. Check their website for hours and reservations!
45) Watch a comedy show at the
Vermont Comedy Club
46) Visit the
Fleming Museum of Art and appreciate a number of pieces of art on exhibit
47) Book a day at the
Essex Resort and Spa and experience an assortment of relaxing spa offerings, bring your appetite along with you, their two on-site restaurants are
48) Hop on a brew bus and take a ride to all the amazing craft breweries in the area
49) After a large snow storm, try urban cross-country skiing along the streets of downtown Burlington
50) Treat yourself to a hot chocolate at
Lake Champlain Chocolates along the Church Street Marketplace.